The Big Sur International Marathon and related events take place on Highway One on Sunday, April 27, between 6:45 a.m. and 1 p.m. There will be significant travel delays during these hours.
Click HERE to view the complete Caravan Schedule
RACE PARTICIPANTS & SPECTATORS
- All race participants except those competing in the 9-Miler, Marathon Relay and 5K MUST stop by the Transportation Desk at the Health & Fitness Expo to receive a ticket specific to the time and location for boarding a bus to the start of their event. Private vehicles may not drive to, park at or drop off at the marathon, 21-Miler or 10.6-Miler start lines or relay exchange points.
- The best viewing for spectators is near the finish line on Highway One at Rio Road. Parking is available close by at the Crossroads Carmel, Barnyard or Carmel Rancho shopping areas.
- Northbound traffic from Big Sur will be stopped at the Big Sur Post Office at 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, April 27. Friends and family members of runners who are staying in Big Sur should leave no later than 6:00 a.m. so that they can arrive at the Rio Road finish prior to 7:00 a.m. when the road is closed to northbound traffic at the Carmel River Bridge. They also have the option of joining the first Northbound Convoy which leave the marathon start line at 7:20 a.m. See the Convoy Schedule for details.
TOURISTS & TRAVELERS
- Travel to and throughout the Monterey Peninsula will NOT be affected (except for travelers driving north from Big Sur). The best access is via Highway 101.
- Highway One south will be closed at Rio Road, just south of Carmel. Travelers wishing to head south on the highway on Sunday, April 28, MUST BE south of Otter Cove (approximately 5 miles south of Rio Road) no later than 4 a.m.
- Highway One north will be closed at Big Sur after 6:00 a.m. Travelers wishing to head north on the highway on race day MUST BE north of the Big Sur Post Office by 6:00 a.m. and north of Rio Road by 7 a.m.
- If traveling along Highway One prior to 1 p.m. is a necessity, there are options to join a "convoy" (a CHP-escorted group of vehicles traveling at 25 mph) on race morning. See the convoy schedule below.
- SATURDAY MORNING, April 26, there will be street closures in Pacific Grove for the JUST RUN! Just Kids 3K between 6 and 11 a.m. along Ocean View Blvd. from Eardley to Sea Palm. Alternate routes are available.
LOCAL RESIDENTS & BUSINESSES:
- Monterey Peninsula residents are strongly encourage to refrain from travel to Big Sur until after 1 p.m. on race day.
- Highway 1 south will be closed at Rio Road, just south of Carmel. After 4 a.m. only those with SOUTHBOUND VEHICLE PASSES will be allowed to use Highway One south beyond Otter Cove. Big Sur employees needing to travel from the Monterey Peninsula must obtain a southbound vehicle pass (available for pickup from the River Inn) and must be south of the Big Sur Post Office by 6:00 a.m.
- Vehicles will be able to travel north from Big Sur and the Carmel Highland prior to the race start. You must be north of the Big Sur Post Office by 6:00 a.m. and across the Carmel River Bridge by 7 a.m. (it is recommended that you leave Big Sur prior to 6 a.m).
- Carmel Highland residents will be able to join a convoy beginning at approximately 7:51 a.m. at Palo Colorado Canyon (see convoy schedule below for times to join this northbound convoy).
- The first southbound convoy will leave the Crossroads area at 8:45 a.m. The next northbound convoy will leave from Pt. Sur at 9:50 a.m.
- Please note that ALL CONVOY TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE and are subject to delays on race day due to unforeseen circumstances (eg., emergency vehicles, weather, etc.).