FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director Media Relations
Big Sur International Marathon
STRONG ELITE FIELD SET FOR BIG SUR MARATHON
(Carmel, CA - April 22, 2005) -- On the eve of the twentieth presentation of the Big Sur International Marathon, a strong elite field is set to challenge the seemingly invincible course record set way back in 1987. This year's field is led by two-time champion Jonathan Ndambuki, the 2002 and 2003 winner, who has recorded the second and fourth fastest times in Big Sur history. In addition to Jonathan, three other international stars are ready to challenge this beautiful and demanding course:
· John Munene, 23, originally from Kenya, who now trains in Mountain View, and has run a sub 2:20 marathon.
· Efrem Haile, 28, originally from Ethiopia, who now trains in Denver, has also run a sub 2:20 marathon.
· Mchrikate El Mustafa, 24, who lives and trains in Morocco, and is the protégé of the legendary marathon champion Khalid Knannouchi, is an up and coming superstar on the world marathon scene.
This talented group of international stars should be able to push each other to challenge the course record of the weather cooperates.
The women's field features last year's winner and third place finisher, a two time second place finisher, and two talented newcomers with lots of experience in marathons around the world.
· Suzy West, 28, last year's winner from Putney, Vermont, returns to defend her title.
· Kim O'Malley, 28, from Santa Cruz, is last year's third place finisher and
· Christine Kennedy, 50, from Palo Alto, finished second in our race twice, and in 1993 ran the fourth fastest women's time ever. She is ready to finally win our race this year.
· Mary Coordt, 35, from Elk Grove, is a two time US Olympic trials participant who has run a personal best of 2:47.
· Mary Akor, 28, who lives in Los Angeles and trains at altitude in Albuquerque, has the best chance to challenge the ladie's course record based on her personal best of under 2:40.
The 20th Anniversary Presentation of the Big Sur International Marathon will take place on Sunday, April 24. More information on both this year's marathon and related events as well as the Big Sur Half Marathon on the Monterey Bay can be found on the website at www.bsim.org .